Mission Statement ~ adopted January 2011
CIGIE's Legislation Committee is responsible for providing regular and ongoing communication regarding legislative issues and other matters of common interest between the Congress and CIGIE. Specifically, the Committee is dedicated to providing helpful and timely information about Federal Congressional initiatives to the Inspector General (IG) community; soliciting the views and concerns of the community in response to legislative initiatives and Congressional requests; and presenting views and recommendations to Congressional committees and staff, the Government Accountability Office, and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) on issues and legislation that broadly affect the IG community.
The Legislation Committee will, in a professional, proactive, and efficient manner, strive to advance the following objectives:
1) Foster productive and enduring relationships with members of Congress, Committees, and Congressional staff that have an interest in government fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement and other issues paramount to the IG community;
2) Effectively represent the IG Community's interests on legislative initiatives;
3) Advance efficiency and effectiveness in government programs as prescribed by the IG Act by raising awareness of legislative issues of concern to the IG Community and presenting the IG perspective to Congress, OMB, and other stakeholders; and
4) Inform IGs about legislative proposals and initiatives that affect the IG community.
Action Plan for Ongoing Legislation Committee Activities
The Committee, working as a whole and through the skills and experience of individual Committee members, will:
- Meet with leadership and senior staff of the House Oversight and Government Reform and the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committees as well as other Congressional committees to initiate and maintain productive working relationships.
- Meet with OMB, GAO, and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain a list of legislative developments that affect the IG community or individual IGs and provide IGs with monthly updates on legislation of general interest.
- Present the IG community's views and recommendations to relevant Congressional entities on legislative proposals affecting the IG community.
- Coordinate CIGIE response when the IG community is asked by a Congressional entity to provide information, comments, or recommendations on a particular topic or proposal.
- Collaborate with other CIGIE committees on legislation-related matters and serve as a liaison to the Hill as needed.
Letters to the 113th Congress
Bills ~ 112th Congress
112th CONGRESS LEGISLATION AFFECTING IGS
Letters to the 112th Congress
- CIGIE's technical views on S. 2105, the Cybersecurity Act of 2012 and S. 2151, the Strengthening and Enhancing
Cybersecurity by Using Research, Education, Information, and Technology Act of 2012 (SECURE IT)
- Letter to Chairman Rockefeller and Ranking Member Hutchison (July 19, 2012)
- Letter to Lieberman and Ranking Member Collins (July 19, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member, Committee on Armed Services, U.S. House of Representatives (April 24, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member, Committee on Oversight & Government Reform, U.S. House of Representatives (April 24, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member, Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, U.S. House of Representatives (April 24, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member, Committee on the Judiciary, U.S. House of Representatives (April 24, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member, Committee on Science, Space, & Technology, U.S. House of Representatives (April 24, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation (March 20, 2012)
- Letter to the Chairman & Ranking Member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs (March 20, 2012)
Other Items of Interest
- Hearing to review the "Non-Federal Employee Whistleblower Protection Act;" Statement of Record by The Honorable Peg Gustafson, representing
CIGIE as Chair of the Legislation Committee, before the Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight, Senate Committee on
Homeland Security and Government Affairs; December 6, 2011
- Comparison of improper Payments Action; July 2010
- Inspector General Reform Act of 2008 1 of 9 Proposed Technical and Conforming Amendments
- Legislation Committee FY2010 Initiatives ~ December 2009
- Improving The Ability Of Inspectors General to detect, Prevent, And Help Prosecute Contracting
Fraud - Statement of J. Anthony Ogden Before Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight
Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, U.S. Senate, April 21, 2009
- S. 680/S. 1723 - Statement of Hon. Phyllis Fong Before the Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs, U.S. Senate, July 11, 2007
- H.R. 928 - Statement of Hon. Phyllis Fong Before the Subcommittee on Government Management, Organization and Procurement, Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, U.S. House of Representatives, June 20, 2007
- Recognizing Accomplishments of the Federal Inspectors General - "Commemorating the IG Act in the year of its 20th Anniversary" (11/2/98)
Public Law 105-349; S.J. Res. 58
- Oversight: A Key
Congressional Function -
Remarks by Former Congressman Lee Hamilton
- Link to Thomas Legislative Information on the Internet via the Library of Congress
- Hearing to review "Curbing Federal Agency Waste and Fraud: New Steps to Strengthen the Integrity of Federal Payments." Statement for the Record by The Honorable Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr., Inspector General for the Social Security Administration, before the U.S. Senate, Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs on May 8, 2013.