The CIGIE Leading Inspiring and Fostering Talent Network (LIFT) brings professionals in the oversight community—of all levels and functions—together to learn about topics that are important to the early-to-mid career-level professionals in Federal oversight.
Vision | The Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE) Leading, Inspiring, and Fostering Talent (LIFT) Network aspires to develop leaders and a sense of fellowship among early-to-mid career-level professionals in the Federal oversight community.
Mission | The mission of the CIGIE LIFT Network is to inspire, educate, and empower our members by facilitating networking opportunities, providing resources to grow and enhance skills, and helping them navigate their careers in federal oversight.
The LIFT Team
LIFT Leadership 2021 – 2022
Chair: Mona Mann (NASA OIG)
Vice Chair: Tiara Grotte (PBGC OIG)
Secretary: Natali Dethomas (PBGC OIG)
Communications: Molly Cox (Commerce OIG) and Ann Hart (HHS OIG)
Events and Programming: Kelly McGovern (USDA OIG) and Taniesha Willis (DOT OIG)
Operations: Jennifer Antonetti (DIA OIG)
Regional Operations: Eric Hermosillo (USDA OIG) and Deanna Lee (NASA OIG)
Perspectives on Leadership | September 29, 2021 | 1pm – 2:30pm (Eastern)
PRAC from Scratch| October 26, 2021 | 1pm – 2:30pm (Eastern)
Inspiring Fearless Communication | June 30, 2021 | 1pm – 2:30pm (Eastern)
On June 30, 2021, CIGIE LIFT hosted “Inspiring Fearless Communication,” a panel discussion on the importance of psychological safety and how to support it within our organizations. The panelists, Stanley Hammonds, Director Curriculum Design and Instructor Development, (Department of Transportation, OIG); Francine Hines, Assistant Inspector General for Management Services, (Department of Education, OIG); Brian Sano, Director of Organizational Health, (Department of State, OIG); and Amanda Seese Whelan, Assistant Inspector General for Strategic Communications and Programs, (Department of Transportation, OIG) addressed sensitive questions about how to deal with bullying, cliques, bias, and other uncomfortable and unfair toxic conditions in the workplace, with authenticity and practical advice.
Interested in learning more? Check out the resources our panel recommended for further reading:
- The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth by Amy Edmonson. https://fearlessorganization.com/
- The Four Stages of Psychological Safety by Timothy R. Clark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enrosv7iLTE
- Think Again, by Adam Grant (click here for more information on the book).
- Begin with Trust by Francis X. Frei and Anne Morris. https://hbr.org/2020/05/begin-with-trust
- Dare to Lead and other books and Ted Talks by Brene Brown: https://brenebrown.com/
Did you miss the event? Don’t worry, we have you covered. Watch a recording of the event here:
To ensure that you receive notice of future events, join our listserv HERE.
CIGIE LDS-LIFT Virtual Flash Mentoring Event On February 24, 2021, CIGIE LIFT partnered with the CIGIE Leadership Development Subcommittee’s Mentoring Workgroup on a successful three-hour flash mentoring and professional development event. This virtual event brought together senior and emerging leaders from across the CIGIE community for a series of expert speaker panels and one-on-one flash mentoring sessions. (Click on event title above for more information, such as agenda and speaker bios.)
Panel sessions featured important topics, including: Making it Easier to Say the Tough Stuff; Deciding When to Move on for Growth; Leading Large, Multidisciplinary Teams in the OIG Law Enforcement Community; Authentic Leadership~ Leading by Example; The Importance of Mentors and Networks in Maturing Leadership; Try New Things, You May Like Them… or Not; The Value of Communication and Diverse Experience; Top 3 Tips for Successful Conflict Resolution; and Being a New Supervisor and a New Employee at the Same Time.
Planning for the 2022 Virtual Flash Mentoring Event is underway. Keep an eye on this space for updates. If you have questions, let us know via the contact form HERE.
On September 17, 2020, CIGIE LIFT held its very first event titled “LIFT Off.” Featuring a virtual panel of deputy inspectors general who shared their experiences and insights on career development and advancement, the event was well-attended and well-received. Here is some of the feedback participants shared following the conclusion of the event:
“To all 3 panelists, I just want to say that it's incredibly inspiring to see and hear you willing to be so vulnerable about your experiences and insights. These answers are so honest and powerful. Thank you.”
“I truly appreciate the panelists for sharing their experiences, guidance, lessons learned, and best practices with us! I second that we should have these sessions more often! And thank you to the excellent moderator and facilitators for making this discussion possible!”
“To the panelists, I just want to say thank you for sharing the personal insights and knowledge. You provided some great takeaways today that I definitely relate to and gained a better understanding.”
“The panelists' open, honest, vulnerable conversation is enlightening. Thank you, CIGIE LIFT!!”
“This exceeded my expectations! Thank you to all who helped organize such a great virtual event.”
“Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences and insights. This has been a great event, covering great material, and I've learned so much!”
“Thank you for all of your enlightening and honest answers. This has been very motivational and from the heart. Thank you to CIGIE LIFT for hosting this event!”
“This was an incredible set of panelists. I was significantly impacted by the journey and experience shared by the panel, for which I am greatly appreciative. Thank you all for sharing your intimate and real advice.”
“Thank you CIGIE LIFT for this training, it was great and the panelists were excellent and I learned so much. Thank you again for your honesty and truth.”
Events Contact Information
Natali Dethomas (PBGC OIG) email@example.com
Tiara Grotte (PBGC OIG) firstname.lastname@example.org
- What is CIGIE LIFT? CIGIE LIFT is a Network of Federal oversight professionals focused on career development and networking opportunities.
- Is CIGIE LIFT only for young professionals? No, CIGIE LIFT is for oversight professionals of all levels and functions who are interested in topics aimed at developing, connecting-with, and engaging early to mid-level career professionals in Federal oversight.
- How do I join or connect with CIGIE LIFT? Join our listserv or submit a question by using the link to the right.
- How do I become involved with CIGIE LIFT Leadership? We are currently developing a process for sharing and providing ongoing opportunities to our members. In the meantime, join our listserv for updates and information on sharing your voice to shape the direction of CIGIE LIFT. Regardless of your specific role, we are committed to ensuring that you have an opportunity to meaningfully contribute to CIGIE LIFT’s success.